I spoke earlier about my trip to get certified at the basic scuba diving level through the ANDI program at Scuba Sciences in Phoenix, AZ.

We traveled to the dock in Los Angeles by bus.  The vehicle and trailer are owned by Scuba Sciences and some of the instructors and dive masters are licensed to drive it – about two hours a stretch before switching.  This keeps their focus on the road and makes sure they are alert and not tired.  After all, diving is dangerous enough without having travel issues!  We left shortly after noon Phoenix time and arrived about 9:00 pm.

The Scuba Sciences people  taught Leila to snorkel so there’s no way I would go anywhere else for my class.  Besides I’ve known people at this outfit for years.

I’ll start looking for supportive shoes with velcro that fit my orthotics.  I probably could use a pair for plane travel, as well.  We had to get off the bus every time it stopped for fuel, to get something to eat, or just to change drivers.  The rule is to take off shoes every time we got on  the bus to keep the floor clean (the staff also are responsible for cleaning the bus).  This is very inconvenient if you have tie shoes.

A few years ago I would have made a major protest before my foot injury healed enough for me to walk a bit without the orthotics.  In those days we were allowed to opt for wanding at the airport instead of taking them off.  Must have been before the shoe bomber.

At the pier in Los Angeles we unloaded the gear – tanks, buoyancy control devices, regulators, as well as our own gear, brought it all down to the dock and transferred it to the boat, the Pacific Star.

The Pacific Star was the smallest boat I’ve ever been on to sleep.  The bunks were stark, small and not heated.  Have I mentioned I don’t like being cold?  And no concierge service.

One of the other divers mentioned it was camping out, only on a boat.  He got that right.  We brought our own towels, soap, etc.  I never even used my pajamas – just crawled into my warm sleeping bag with layers of clothes on.

Also, the bunk area was the “dry” area (below) and the top of the boat was the wet.  We just went around with sweatshirts and warm jackets on top over our swim suits and our wet suits and skins folded down.  Definitely not a fashion statement.  My bunk mate (top bunk) Cynthia had a deck coat – could go over everything and was warm, long, and dried quickly and she could just put it on dry or damp.  Cynthia was one of the drivers and master divers.  I got some tips from her as a woman diving guru.

One of the things I learned was not to eat too much at lunch between dives, especially of tomato-based soup and anything spicy.  I burped during the dive following lunch – which is an interesting experience under water and one I will endeavor to avoid going forward.

Anyway, I will certainly ask more questions at the next pre-dive meeting and pack differently for the next dive trip I go on.  I’m referring to personal stuff.  Dive equipment is problematic whether you rent it or bring your own.

I did bring a couple of cameras, a couple for underwater.  I never took them out.  It was all I could do to keep warm and get through the exercises.  I hope someone took a photo of me besides the group one before we left.  I’d like some proof I was there, that I was successful, other than my log book and my certificate – C-card.

Wishing you your own solutions, whether it’s for a dive trip or anything else in your life,

Wendy Weber, the Singing Network Marketer




Be Sociable, Share!

Tagged with:

Filed under: Home and FamilyUncategorized

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!